- Register for the series (all 6 races) prior to January 12th and get one race free!
- Category additions:
- Intermediate Single Speed 45+
- Junior 15-18 will be split into 15-16 & 17-18
- Fat Bike category will change to Plus Bike category with the tire width dropping from 3″ to 2.8″
- We’ve added a “Collegiate” category for the Team Competition
- An MBAA Membership purchased after Nov. 1st is good through the end of 2018!
- If you are interested in being on the MBAA board, we’d love to talk to you. Shoot us an email at info@ .
- Race information released right here in the coming days!
McDowell Mountain Regional Park (Map)
16300 McDowell Mountain Park Dr.
MMRP Arizona 85255
McDowell Mountain Regional Park is arguably the home XC race course for many AZ mountain bike events. The course was home to the Cactus Cup back in the early 90’s and features classic desert riding with short climbs, tight turns, and cactus galore. This course will challenge you and leave you smiling, so long as you stay out of the cactus. Bring the whole crew, there’s a sweet new pump track for everyone to enjoy.
Take Shea to Fountain Hills Blvd. Continue on Fountain Hills Blvd. until it becomes McDowell Mountain Road. Continue 4 miles to the park entrance on your LEFT. There is a $6 entry fee for each vehicle – Exact change is appreciated. Camping fees go to the park. Review our venue map for where to setup. Showers & restrooms located at the venue and throughout park.
Four Peaks Lot Camping – $12 per night – across from Competition Lot on North side of park entrance rd.
- Ralph’s Snack Bar
- Single Speed Coffee
Save money and time – sign up online, early!
$25 First timers (1x only – no points awarded, no awards)
$25 Juniors (18 and under, price never changes)
$45 Early – up until Sunday at 11:59pm week of the event
$50 On-time – Monday 12:00am until Thursday 8:00pm
$60 Late & Day of registration – Thursday 8:01pm until 30 min prior to race start
Need to change your category? No problem – send an email to the registration director
What to race the full series? Register for all 6 XC races (McDowell, Estrella, White Tanks, Havasu, Prescott & Flagstaff) for just $225 & get a cool MBAA hat at the first race!
To register for the entire series add McDowell to your cart and use code MBAA2018Series at checkout.
- Must be finalized by Estrella!
- More Details on the 2018 MBAA Team Competition
Signup for an MBAA membership for just $20 ($10 for juniors under 18) and contribute directly to trail projects across the state. Plug you’ll get a cool pair of members only socks and sticker. You’ll also be entered into out members only raffles drawn at each race!
MBAA REFUND POLICY:
Up until 2 weeks before the event you may get a 50% refund or 100% transfer to the next event. If there is no next event (ie the finals) we cannot make any further accommodations.
Elite (Pro) – Professional cyclist, competes at the highest level
Expert (Cat 1) – Wicked fast, seasoned racer
Intermediate (Cat 2) – Dang fast, not just a weekend warrior, usually rides quite bit
Beginner (Cat 3) – Relatively new to the sport
First Timer – Newbie, never raced with MBAA or has no experience with mountain bike racing
Single Speed – Only one gear on bike, likes to suffer (our kind of folks)
Masters Men 60+ – Older gents, 60+ years of age
Rock Crusher – Gents 200-lbs or more
Plus Bike – 2.8 inch tires or wider
Marathon – Long distance rider, approx. 3.5-hrs or more per race, likes to really suffer (most definitely our kind of folks)
Junior – Ages 6-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14
Kids – 6 & under that likes a short, FREE race
Note – if you are racing Expert 45+ men or Expert Single Speed men and want a shot at cash, you need to change categories and race Expert Open. No exceptions, no changing after the fact.
The age you will be on Dec. 31, 2018.
Awards are 3 deep per category.
Awards will be done as soon as possible after protest periods end and results are approved by the officials.
Top 5 Marathon male
Top 5 Marathon female
Top 5 Elite/Expert open male
Top 5 Elite/Expert open female
1st = $100
2nd = $90
3rd = $80
4th = $50
5th = $25
VOLUNTEER (Sign Up Here):
Every event is not possible without the help and support of volunteers. Help make these events great by giving back a bit of your time. 5 volunteer hours are required to be eligible for the series championship. A friend or family member can volunteer in a racers place.
START TIMES & LAP COUNTS:
McDowell Start Times & Lap Counts
- Green Arrows – Spot Loop (3-miles) – The sport loop will be marked with green arrows and is made up of mostly smooth rolling terrain.
- Blue Arrows – Sport > Tech > Long (10-miles) – The classic Sport to Tech to Long loop takes riders through some of the best trails in the desert.
- Black Arrows – Tech/Long (5.5-miles) – Begin on the Sport loop for nearly a full lap. Right before the trail heads back to the parking lot, hang a left onto the Tech loop connector and drop in on The Ledge (or take the bypass) then a lung busting climb takes to up to T-bone ridge before a nice descent leads you to finish out the tech loop.
- Red Arrows – Marathon 1st lap (33-miles) – The marathon course will head out the sport to tech to long route before heading onto the connector road to Pemberton. Once at the Pemberton trail, hang a left up to Dixie Mine. Up Dixie Mine, right on Coachwhip back to Pemberton where you will make a left and follow Pemberton almost to the trailhead before turning left onto Scenic. Up and over Scenic takes you back to Pemberton where you will make a left back to the connector road you came out on. Hang a left and then a right onto the long loop to complete the full red loop. Upon completing one red loop, you will then go out for one Blue (sport>tech>long) for a total of 43-miles (full marathon course GPX file).
RACE DAY SCHEDULE:
7:15 am – Registration Opens! – Bring ID, be patient please
*All athletes must check in/register 30-mins prior to start time
8:15 am – All Marathon Start
8:30 am – Elite & Intermediate Men (wave 1)
10:30 am – Beginner Men (wave 2)
11:30 am – Elite, Intermediate & Beginner Women (wave 3)
12:00 pm – Awards for wave 1 & marathon
12:30 pm – Free kid’s race (ages 6 & under)
1:00 pm – Awards for wave 2
1:30 pm – Juniors (wave 4)
2:30 pm – Awards for wave 3
3:30 pm – Awards for wave 4